Monday, November 06, 2006

Peace of Christ to You

It saddens me when I find myself defending the importance of the Lord's Supper to other believers. How does the church lose sight of a gift from the Lord Himself for the unity of the body? The more I think and pray about it, the more clearly I see that it is because the church has lost sight of Christ as He is, seated on the throne of Heaven, at the right hand of the Father. Or, put more specifically, the more I study them, the more I see that sacrementology and eschatology are connected. When we partake of the Supper, we partake with Christ enthroned in Heaven ruling now, victorious over death and sin. We are not a huddled band of believers sneaking bites and piering around the corner waiting for the antichrist to kick us out. We are feasting in the midst of our enemies. I would be tempted to mock those nibbling on their crackers and sipping their grape juice once every four months, but I miss them dearly at the table. I urge them to come, not because it makes more sense and works better theologically, but because it offers peace. Peace of Christ to you.