Friday, December 09, 2005

Highlands Study Center, installment 1

It seems that it might be of interest for me to write of my times as student at the Highlands Study Center. That it is a convenient source of blogging material is also rather handy.

Around October of 2002, I had been looking for a sort of discipleship program for a while. I had applied, and been rejected (although I was a 'prime candidate'), for Vision Forum's discipleship program. I had intended on applying again at Vision Forum, but they took a sort of sabbatical on the program. Around that time a friend told me about RC Sproul Jr.'s ministry, with the disclaimer that he is 'a presbyterian, and a bit radical.' Sounded rather interesting (we were going to a reformed baptist church). Having grown up listening to Sproul Sr., I was interested. I started reading on the HSC website. I liked this kind of radical. So, I talked to my parents, and I contacted Dr. Sproul. We had some questions for each other. After some email exchanges, mostly about myself, he told me that it sounded like my family was more presbyterian than most presbyterians. We arranged that I would come up shortly after Thanksgiving of '02.

I left home Monday, December 2nd, in a little brown 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass, my family in the rearview. It was my first roadtrip away from home, alone. I was to call home every couple hours. That night I happened to find one of the only hotels in America that would give a room to someone under 21, but that's another story. I pulled up to the Sproul domain Tuesday afternoon, rather naive, a little lonely, and quite nervous. Dr. Sproul was kind, warm, funny, and quite interesting in shorts and calf socks. The adventeur had begun.